Our Blog‎ > ‎

What is a mini-tort auto insurance claim? | Michigan auto insurance

posted Jan 19, 2016, 11:50 AM by Jason Grubbs   [ updated Oct 11, 2016, 1:01 PM ]
Michigan is a "no fault" state for auto insurance.  This means - for the most part - your own insurance policy and coverage responds when you are involved in an auto accident.

A "mini-tort" claim is an exception that allows the victim in an auto accident to collect up to $1,000 for damages to their vehicle from the owner or driver of the vehicle who caused the crash.  The mini-tort provision is only applicable if the not at-fault party in the accident either did not carry collision coverage or had a deductible that applied for this type of loss.

It is important to note mini-tort is not paid by your own insurance company - it's either paid directly by the at-fault party or their insurance company.

You will typically be required to provide the other insurance company with documentation consisting of a copy of the police report to confirm the accident details, an estimate documenting the amount of damage to your vehicle, and a copy of your insurance policy.

If the at-fault party is uncooperative or does not have insurance to cover this expense you may need to take them to small claims court to get a judgment and court order for payment of a mini-tort claim.

Did you know?
With broad form collision coverage your deductible is waived when the other party is at-fault in a collision, saving you the time and hassle of trying to collect a mini-tort claim.
Visit our auto insurance page for more coverage information.